12 October 2011

Fear.

I've been stewing on the concept of 'fear' and I've trying to categorise it but this has proved a challenging feat. For example, I have a fear of mice and rats. Rationally, I am several times larger and stronger than any of those creatures, so my instinct is to categorise that particular shortcoming as irrational. However, to do that is to discount context. For example, as a child, I was frequently told that mice and rats harbour disease and were key agents in the spreading of the plague. Given this context, my fear of rodents is actually a fear of ailment and ultimately death, which sounds a tad more rational.




This string of nonsense led to me reclassify fear, opting for 'tangible' and 'intangible', labels that account for physical and abstract ideas. After the reclassification, I found that most, if not all my fears lie within the remit of the intangibles, those slightly complex and abstract ideas, like death and humiliation.

Such a disappointment to realise that I have an aversion to concepts that my mind should be able to tame.

Maybe you should try it. List your fears and see which are tangible and which are intangible.



- I write in order to avoid talking, for you see as a human, I suck at talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment