8 November 2009

The wisdom of HIM.

An abridged excerpt of a conversation I had last week. Truth be told, it's a recurring topic in conversations had with others and myself.


Him: What’s the job front saying though?


Me: Work? I’m still looking for something I really enjoy.

Him: Enjoy?

Me: Yeah, of course. We spend the bulk of our adult life at work, we must be able to extract some enjoyment from it shouldn’t we?

Him: Nah mate.

Me: No?

Him: Nope. I think people place too much emphasis on this “happiness at work” shit.

Me: What do you mean?

Him: What you do is what you do innit. Reality is, there are not enough dream jobs to for everyone so you might as well do a job that doesn’t stress you out and pays you enough to do what you want to do.

Me: Seriously?

Him: Yep. Its what you do in your time outside of work that counts.

Me: Seriously?

Him: Yeah mate. I’d love to have a job where I go in at 9am, no, 10am, no 11 am and finish at 6pm or whatever and no matter what I’m doing, when it hits 6pm, I drop it and walk out, and when I leave work, I don’t think about it until I’m back there.

Me: Seriously?

Him: Yeah man. I would go home, link my people and be easy, spend time and energy with them.

Me: Interesting.

Him: Trust me, it’s what you do out of work, in your own time that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment