19 September 2009

At times like this

Jean-Paul Sartre one said that "hell is other people," which once can interpret to mean that time spent with people other than oneself, equates to a stint in hell and after many years of working with others, trying to form relationships with others and of course sharing public transport with others, I can wholeheartedly agree with Jean-Paul. However, of late, my mind has been ruminating on that said dimension of hell and how it came to pass.

Today is one of those days where I believe that the hell Sartre referred to may not stem from the grating annoyance of other beings, which I admit, can be a thorn in the side for even the most tolerant and exuberant of humans, on the contrary, I believe that the dimension of hell he began to explore, is born out of the self-doubt that has a tendency to breed in the minds of the timid in social situations, simply put, that if you lack self-belief, being in the company of others does nothing except highlight how much excess confidence other people may possess, causing a hellish sensation to develop and a sense of inadequacy to linger in the back of ones throat and in the forefront of ones mind.

I guess all this is nothing more than a preamble to me wrestling with the nature of isolation, that maybe, in times of solitude, one often conjures up les illusions de grandeur, creating a sanctuary free from scrutiny or honesty, a realm of which you are master, but when one is thrown into the company of others, that illusion, that false identity, can become eclipsed and in times of woe, burned to the ground.

I'm sure this line of reasoning is far from new, in fact, I think I may have heard something similar in an episode of Chucklevision, but still, at this time, this is one of the thoughts that occupies my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment