2 April 2011

Mothering Sunday

Mothering Sunday. Like most public days of celebration, I know little of its origin but a day when society chooses to stop and thank the matriarchs, is a gesture that has always resonated well with me.

I remember I asked my mother once about the meaning of Mothering Sunday and why there was no "Children's Sunday" or "Toddler Tuesday". Hastily, she replied that everyday was "Children's day". Me, being the obnoxious individual that I am, then demanded a present every day, nothing big, but a present nonetheless, everyday, to which she responded that "every day is for children because they receive day in day out, food, clothing, shelter, the works."

Of course I saw this as a mountainous pile of incomprehensible adult reasoning but over the years, I have mused on her conclusion and have found some truth in her words. Mothers spend a great deal of their lives raising their young, only for their young, to out grow them, create worlds for themselves and eventually leave - it's a tripe system best but it is part of our nature

Ideally, we would display great affection and respect on a daily basis, to the woman who carried us and who, relatively, is the closet thing we have to any sort of God on this earth, but if we take one day of the year to celebrate the strength, courage and selflessness of Mothers, than with that, I can find some justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment